Weight training, weight loss, relief will not be positive if you do not follow the diet. During physical exertion, the body needs to be properly nourished, so a diet is drawn up. Let’s take a look at what nutrition is allowed for athletes on training days.
For a quick result, not only training is important, but also nutrition. These components are of equal importance. Removing one aspect, the other works worse. Exercise helps to activate the work of muscle fibers, and the right foods saturate them with energy, keep them from destruction. It is from food that the athlete receives the main charge of wakefulness and the desire for heavy loads.
Nutrition for training is important not only before but also after. When the body is exhausted, recovery is important. Experienced athletes say that if you don’t eat 20 minutes after class, then the training is in vain. Thanks to a balanced diet, catabolic processes do not begin and the body is quickly filled with strength.
When compiling a diet, you need to calculate carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
They should not exceed the daily energy consumption. You also need to rely on the physique. Skinny, medium, and large athletes have different menus.
Nutrition for weight training consists of the following features:
- Ectomorphs need increased protein intake before and after training.
- endomorphs exclude fats. That is, fatty, flour, and unhealthy foods are prohibited.
- It is easiest for mesomorphs to make a diet. Their physique combines the best qualities of the previous types, so they gain mass quickly.
For muscle growth, the most important thing is to eat proteins. They stimulate tissue growth. A lot of the element is found in meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and dairy products.
Carbohydrates are energy for the body. They give strength to practice. There are simple and complex elements. The former are found in fruits and sugar. Easily absorbed and consumed quickly. The body spends more calories and energy to work with complex ones. Therefore, they are recommended by nutritionists.
Fats help produce hormones and enzymes involved in weight gain. Normal existence is impossible without this element. It is important to saturate the diet with them during long training sessions.
According to the rules, you need to eat before and after training for gaining mass. To make classes even more effective, athletes are given the following nutritional recommendations:
- 5-6 meals – if the portions are small, the stomach is not overloaded. The break should be 3-4 hours. If you eat the entire volume in 2-3 times, then the nutrients will be transformed into fat and deposited.
- High-calorie foods – then there will be no overload of the digestive system. Fruits and vegetables make up only 30% of the total diet. They are high in fiber, which interferes with the digestion of high-calorie foods.
- Limiting fat and fast carbs – Less foods with animals and other saturated fats. Less sweet and starchy foods. They increase blood sugar levels. Glucose is converted to fat.
- Water – liquid speeds up metabolism and prevents dehydration. You need to drink at least 1.5-2 liters of water per day. And for weight gain, 3 is desirable.
- Distribution of portions – you need to eat the main part of the food before 4:00 pm. At this time, it is better digested and you can even treat yourself to a sweet one. In the evening, only light foods are recommended – fermented milk, vegetables, poultry, salads, eggs, fish.
What to eat before weight training?
Since the body will lose energy, it is important to saturate it with carbohydrates. You need to eat not before the lesson itself, but 2 hours before it. For this, the food will have time to be digested and energy will enter the body.
There are a lot of carbohydrates in such foods:
- Fruits – apples, pears, bananas.
- Grapes or raisins.
- Boiled or baked potatoes.
Protein is added to the diet. It feeds muscle fibers with amino acids.
During the workout itself, the stomach is empty. It is recommended to exclude fatty meats such as pork and lamb. Fats slow down digestion. Before training, it is better to choose foods filled with proteins:
- Boiled or steamed fish.
- Beef fillet.
- Cottage cheese.
- Yogurt, kefir, milk.
Other ingredients can be selected. The main thing is that they do not have a lot of sugar.
What to eat after workout for muscle growth?
After 20-30 minutes after class, you need to eat. During this period, an anabolic window opens, it is also called protein-carbohydrate. The body needs nutrients to restore energy and maintain muscles. Athletes can consume carbohydrates with a high glycemic index. Simple carbohydrates are not involved in the formation of fat cells.
After training, protein and carbohydrates should be in equal amounts. In an anabolic window, not all protein is suitable for building muscle fibers. If you actively use them, then there will be no result. It is advisable to drink protein shakes 1-2 days after training.
Immediately after class, high-calorie foods are excluded. It is recommended to compose a diet from the following ingredients:
- Fruits and vegetables.
After an hour and a half, blood circulation is restored. At this point, complex protein foods are allowed:
- Low-fat veal.
- Chicken or duck.
- A fish.
- Cottage cheese, kefir, cheeses, yogurt.
Since there are also fats in the list of useful components, nutritionists are often asked: what to eat after weight training. This nutrient is also important for the maintenance of normal hormone function. Therefore, polyunsaturated fats are recommended. These include nuts and avocados.
Sample menu for the day
Nutrition should be monitored not only on training days but also during rest. The diet may differ in the number of useful elements, but they must be there. It is recommended to create a new menu every day so that there are no repetitions.
The daily diet might look like this:
- Breakfast – oatmeal and scrambled eggs.
- Second breakfast – protein pancakes with cottage cheese.
- Lunch – grilled beef, rice, or buckwheat.
- Pre-workout snack – beef salad.
- After the lesson – minced beef braised cutlets.
- Dinner – salmon in sour cream sauce, fresh or stewed vegetables, mashed potatoes, or rice.
The menu is also compiled in the following format:
- Breakfast – a boiled egg with raw vegetables.
- Snack – kefir, and banana.
- Lunch – baked chicken or stewed pork with rice, buckwheat or baked potatoes, salad.
- Afternoon snack – before a workout, you can drink coffee and eat candy, and on the day of rest – a glass of kefir.
- Snack – 1-2 eggs, vegetables, cheese.
- Dinner – cottage cheese with banana. If there was a day of rest, then you can eat tuna salad and eggs, bread toast.
In order for training and nutrition for gaining muscle mass to work together, it is important to understand the foods that can be consumed. At first, making such a menu will be difficult.
You need to calculate the calorie content of each ingredient.
With experience, understanding and certain food preferences will appear. Do not forget about sports supplements used before and after classes.